Pre Employment Screening & Ergonomic Consulting
Pre-employment (pre-placement) medical and functional assessments are an integral component of any recruitment strategy and a leading indicator injury prevention solution. Our pre-employment screening examinations reduce the incidents and severity of injuries in your workplace by matching the physical demands of the job with the physical capability of the employee.
In many cases our Physiotherapists guide and direct participants towards employment field opportunities that best suit their physical capacity – a proactive measure to ensure long-term musculoskeletal safety and an injury free career.
Other benefits include:
- a record of pre-employment capacity to help identify when any subsequent injury is fully recovered and returned to its pre-injury state
- identification of an individual’s risk factors prior to employment which can be addressed early by the on-site physiotherapist to ensure that the employee can carry out their job demands with minimum risk
Our pre-employment assessments can be tailored to your needs in your specific industry and will include:
- A detailed subjective history including past work history, medical and injury history and identification of known risk factors
- Testing of physical capacities including:
- Functional capacity and lifting tolerance
- Lifting technique/work postures
- General mobility and strength
- Aerobic fitness
Partnering with the Redfern Physiotherapy and Sports Medicine for pre-employment screening services is a critical key to the health and sustainability of your entire workforce
For further information about pre-employment screening and some of our other workplace services please visit the In Touch Physiotherapy website.
Ergonomic consulting is where an ergonomic consultant attend your working environment to evaluate your business or individual requirements. Our physiotherapists can provide expert knowledge in the area of office ergonomics and will assess the organisation’s needs and develop achievable goals and solutions.
Ergonomic consulting often requires analysis of the workstation. An ergonomic checklist is often used that will cover all aspects of the office ergonomic furniture, such as the chair, mouse, desk, computer and other pieces of ergonomic equipment. Not only is the workstation assessed but the individual sitting at the workstation, their ergonomic posture and also their work habits.
Ergonomic Consulting is usually used in conjunction with ergonomic software and ergonomic training.
Ergonomics is one part of OHS and our ergonomic consultants aim to provide a safe working environment.
Individual Workstation Assessments
- Individual assessment with a physiotherapist aimed at identifying risk factors at the workstation that may cause injury and finding preventative solutions to these problems
- Analysis of all aspects of the workstation – ergonomic chair, ergonomic desk, ergonomic monitor, ergonomic keyboard, ergonomic mouse and the placement of these on the workstation
- Analysis of the employee – job requirements and their working posture
- Discussion of rest and stretch breaks throughout the day to minimise injuries
- Recommendations including any equipment that may be required
Home Office Ergonomic Assessment
- Employees generally set up their own home-ergonomic office and in doing so they can often make very poor choices when it comes to chairs, ergonomic workstations, telephone handsets, ergonomic furniture selection.
- Home office assessments include the same rigorous steps as a typical workstation assessment. Employees will be instructed on how to set their workspace at home, when to take appropriate breaks and the appropriate exercises to perform should they have any symptoms.
Office Furniture and Equipment Analysis
- Evaluation of ergonomic office furniture and equipment
- Advice on making the right decisions when choosing ergonomic chairs, ergonomic keyboards and ergonomic mice etc
- A review of your office furniture and equipment will help you make the right decisions when you are investing in adapting workstations or purchasing new ergonomic furniture and ergonomic chairs.